In the Spirit of Giving

If you are reading this, then I guess you found my blog. This blog serves to give to others as well as help people realize the importance of giving in our everyday lives. It is something I believe that society is lacking on today, and I would like to approach this problem. I pray that God would use this blog to inspire you, and help you see the call to give God has placed on every one of our lives to give.

Friday, December 21, 2012

Giving Mercy/Forgiveness

     Okay, so we've all experienced it.  The bitterness, the hurt, and the desire to get revenge on the person who caused us so much pain.  We've all been there, and we can all relate to this.
     It used to be that I constantly struggled with bitterness and the constant need for revenge.  I wanted to search out ways to make that person feel bad about themselves and what they did.  The thing is, even if I did hurt that person, it didn't make me happy, or even satisfy my desire for revenge.  In fact, it rather made me miserable.  I would think about that person constantly and all the things they had done to me.  I'm sure you've been there too.
     But what does God say about it?

"Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy."-Romans 11:31

"For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment."-James 2:13

     So, according to these verse, not only will we suffer judgment for being merciless, but, if we have mercy on them for what they did to us, then it could very well lead them to obtain mercy and be merciful themselves.
     Jesus Christ is the best example of this.  There He was, bleeding to the point where only water poured out, and wearing a crown of thorns on His head.  Yet, in the midst of His pain and suffering, He cried out, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do".  Now, we could argue with that point and say that they knew exactly what they were doing.  But the truth is, they didn't.  Those soldiers and people had no idea what they were actually doing to themselves by crucifying Jesus.  That's why He cried out for God to forgive them.
     If we could only see things the way Jesus would see them, we wouldn't become so bitter all of the time.  No, you may never know why that person borrowed money and never paid you back, or why your parents constantly threw insults at you as a child.  But if you could just forgive them and offer the gift of mercy, you would find that it doesn't matter as much.  When you forgive, you set yourself free by setting them free.
     So, I'm begging you to forgive them, if not for them, then for yourself.  Whoever it is, whatever they did, forgive them.  Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

     May God Bless,
     Lizi

P.S. To go along with this, I highly recommend that you listen to "Forgiveness" by Matthew West and read the story behind it.  It's very inspiring, and will touch your heart, I'm sure.

P.S.S. Merry Christmas!  I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year!  May God bless you and your family during this time of the year, and may all of your Christmas wishes come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment